Little Blue Stem - Schizachyrium scoparium
Regular price $10.00
Shipping calculated at checkout.
Phonetic: ski-za-KRY-ee-um sko-PAIR-ee-um
Little Bluestem is a highly ornamental native grass prized for its blue-green leaf color and upright form. The foliage provides excellent color all season-long and creates the perfect backdrop for flowers. Densely mounded, Little Bluestem reaches a height of 3 feet by autumn, when it turns a striking reddish bronze, bearing illuminated tufted seeds. The rigid clumps can withstand snow and rain, allowing the reddish grass stems to remain upright for most of the winter.
- Hardiness: 3 - 9
- Native Northeast Region: USDA Database
- Sun Exposure: Full to Part Sun
- Flower Color: Green, Blue
- Bloom Time: July, August, September, October
- Soil Type: Medium to Dry
- Mature Plant Size: 3'H x 2'W
- Plant Spacing: 2'
- Host Plant: Dusted Skipper, Indian Skipper
- Attracts: Songbirds
- Advantages: Drought tolerant, deer resistant, fall color, winter interest, tolerates humidity and various soil types.
- Landscape Uses: Perennial border, cottage garden, meadow, mass planting
- Companion Plants: Pale Purple Coneflower, Yellow Coneflower, Native Bergamot, Lance Leaf Coreopsis
- Deer Resistant
You might also like
From $7.00 — Sold Out