Big Bluestem - Andropogon gerardii
Regular price $7.00
Phonetic: an-dro-POH-gon jer-AR-dee-eye
Big Blue Stem is a clump forming tall perennial grass with multi-season interest. Blue green foliage with reddish flowers appears in late summer. Leaves turn bronze in the fall and winter. Well suited for a large garden as an accent plant.
- Hardiness: 3-9
- Native Region: USDA Plant Database
- Sun Exposure: Full to Partial Sun
- Flower Color: Red/Green
- Bloom Time: August
- Soil Type: Med Wet to Dry
- Mature Plant Size: 5-7'H, 2'W
- Plant Spacing: 2-3'
- Host Plant: Dusted Skipper, Delaware Skipper, Common Wood Nymph, Cobweb Skipper, and The Thinker
- Attracts: Birds
- Advantages: Drought tolerant, dried flower. Used by birds for cover and nesting sites.
- Landscape Uses: Meadows, roadsides, perennial borders.
- Companion Plants: Butterfly Weed, NY Aster, Lance leaf Coreopsis, Dense Blazing Star
- Deer Resistant