Smooth Blue Aster - Symphyotrichum laeve
Regular price $7.00
Shipping calculated at checkout.
Phonetic: sim-fy-oh-TRY-kum LAY-vey
Smooth Aster is a hardy plant that defies frost and keeps on blooming, often into November, with a profusion of lavender-blue, star-like flowers. The leaves are smooth to the touch which makes this species different from most asters. Typically, about three feet tall with arching branches, the tough stem allows it to say upright throughout summer and fall. Attractive to butterflies seeking nectar in the fall, it's also a host for the Pearl Crescent butterfly.
- Hardiness Zone: 3-9
- Native Northeast Region: USDA Database
- Sun Exposure: Full to Partial Sun
- Flower Color: Blue
- Bloom Time: August, September, October
- Soil Type: Medium - Dry
- Mature Plant Size: 4'H, 1-2'W
- Plant Spacing: .75-2'
- Host Plant: Pearl Crescent Butterflies
- Attracts: Bees, Butterflies
- Advantages: Clay soil tolerant, cut flower, drought tolerant
- Landscape Uses: Butterfly garden, mass planting, meadows, perennial border, rock gardens
- Companion Plants: Big Bluestem, Butterfly Weed, Foxglove Beardtongue, Goldenrods, Liatris, Purple Coneflower
You might also like
Regular price $41.00
Regular price $57.00