Showy Tick Trefoil - Desmodium canadense
Regular price $10.00
Shipping calculated at checkout.
Phonetic: des-MOH-dee-um ka-na-DEN-see
Showiest of the Tick Trefoils, Desmodium canadense is covered with bright purple pea-like flowers in the heat of mid-summer. A deep taproot makes this plant incredibly drought resistant. A member of the Legume Family, it improves the soil by adding nitrogen, and the seeds are used by a variety of birds and other wildlife. Loves clay and will grow on any moderately rich well-drained or slightly damp soil. Spreads by means of "stick-tight" seeds. The nectar, pollen, seeds and foliage of this species appeal to a number of insects, birds and mammals.
- Hardiness Zone: 3-7
- Native Northeast Region: USDA Database
- Sun Exposure: Full, Partial
- Flower Color: Pink
- Bloom Time: July, August
- Soil Type: Medium
- Mature Plant Size: 3-5'H, 2-3'W
- Plant Spacing: 2'
- Host Plant: Eastern Tailed Blue, Gray Hairstreak, Silver Spotted Skipper, Swarthy Skipper,
- Attracts: Bess, Birds, Butterflies, Hummingbirds
- Advantages: Clay soil and drought tolerant, cut flower
- Landscape Uses: Mass planting, meadows, wild flower gardens
- Companion Plants: Black Eyed Susan, Goldenrods, Joe Pye Weed, Obedient Plant
You might also like